February 9, 2012

Potty Training vs. Mommy Training

After another unsuccessful attempt at going "pee pee" I watched Riley walk over to the toilet, flush it and exclaim "I did it! Hooray!" I'll be honest, I was annoyed. It was cute and I'll give her two points for enthusiasm but sister did not go potty. Needless-to-say, I was spent! This was probably the 100th time in two days we had attempted to go potty with NO results. I wanted to wave the toilet paper in the air and surrender! We can try again NEXT YEAR!
I sat on the cold bathroom floor and pleaded with God to make this kid PEE! (you're either laughing at me or with me)

In times (ie. Potty Training) like this I start off relying on myself to make it through the day.
And in these moments of self-reliance, I am ALWAYS defeated. Defeated by anger. Defeated by exhaustion. Defeated by fear. Defeated by bitterness. Defeated by anxiety.
Then, and only then do I run to God- when my resources have been exhausted and I am out of ideas and I need help. I find myself pleading with God to turn things around or give me the answers I want. Hence the bathroom floor scenario.

Why do I do that?
I know these things to be true, why can't I just apply them in times of need?:

"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength" Phillipians 4:13

"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

"But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles and they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31

....AND YES! potty training IS a time of need!

So, tomorrow when I find myself chasing a naked toddler around my kitchen trying to put her 12th pair of "pannies" on for the day, I will breathe, clean the pee stain off the carpet, sit down to a lovely game of "Don't Spill the Beans" with my kiddos and remember that God is in control.


Big girl is sitting up on her own AND holding her own bottle.

These faces can make any day better. Potty or no potty!




No comments:

Post a Comment