July 27, 2012

My Heart

"Out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks." Matthew 12:34

As I type that verse I can't help but to sing. We just received the Seeds of Worship CD-Praise a few weeks ago and both my 2 and 3 year old know that verse complete! We can dance and sing God's truth, it's a lot of fun and a brilliant way to learn scripture.

Funny thing being a mom.... I was so excited to get that CD to teach my kids scripture, but in fact-God is teaching me so many things through that one song. 


God has taught me so much through my journey with Him.
But I have come to realize that I have learned more in the three years of parenting than I have the last 13 years of knowing my sweet Savior combined. 


In singing this verse over and over again in the car, around the kitchen table, and at bed time (to name a few) has really helped me to evaluate my heart.

It's amazing how much we have influence over others just with our speech. How we speak to people on daily basis is an incredible testimony as to what our heart cherishes most. I find myself frustrated with the lack of time I have or the amount of work I have to do, so I am quick to complain. I may not agree with someone's opinion so I am quick to judge or gossip. I often desire alone time, so I quickly fuss or snap at my family. All of these things reflect selfishness or ungratefulness and reveals my constant need of Jesus.

I know that without Christ my heart is defiled. My heart will think of nothing good. I long to parent with a pure motive. But I fail. I long to glorify God in my speech over coffee with my girlfriends. But I can't apart from Him.

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, Oh Lord, my Rock and Redeemer." Psalm 19:14

I pray that my heart is focused on Jesus so that my words towards my husband, my children and those around me might be encouraging, loving, and pointing them to the cross daily.

1 comment:

  1. great post. i agree with it all. our speech is SO important, but how i fail, without Jesus by my side every single second of the day!

    ReplyDelete